Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Repeat after me: technology is your friend (and the Friends' friend)

After several days of cross-checking lists, pronunciations, powerpoint slides and emergency go-to lists, I needed to take a break and use the other half of my brain.  At the same time, I am pretty sure I have driven our fearless MC George Doherty insane with my frantic revisions.

Time to take a break and do something different.

I could not get my spreadsheet program to find double words in the rounds, but I did find one good use for technology this week:  iPhone's video technology helped me create and e-mail sound clips to George with most of the words pronounced.  I imagine him sitting in his office at Corcoran and Havlin, door closed, playing the recordings and speaking along with them...his co-workers probably think he is studying some weird foreign language. 

It is an enormous job to put together the Bee, but once the cameras start rolling at 7 p.m. on Thursday, George is the one doing the heavy lifting.  He knows the word list, he knows the players, he improvises sentences, he keeps the game together, and he makes it fun for everyone.  George does a lot of volunteering in the community, but his work for the Friends of the Library makes him King Bee in our books.

No comments: